Instant Saunf Sharbat PremixApril 1, 2019
Takatli Palak chi BhajiApril 2, 2019
Kala vatana Usal Recipe
Black peas curry is cooked in spicy tangy tomato & coconut gravy. It is Authentic recipe of Malavan region, Maharashtra. In Maharashtra It is known as Kala Vatana Usal or Kala Vatana Amti. Main Flavor of this Usal comes from Malvani Masala and Coconut. Its is made during Ganpati Festival in Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg, kokan area.
But the sad thing is my Husband dint like coconut at all so I made Kala vatana usal without coconut. It also taste good but definitely aroma of roasted coconut is missing. So today I m going to Share Kala vatana usal recipe without coconut. It goes well with steamed rice and Phulka.
Note: Black peas takes more time to cook. Soke them overnight or 7-8hrs. In my pressure cooker it took 9 whistles to cook the peas.
Preparation Time: 15 min || Soaking Time: 7-8hrs || Cooking Time: 25 mins || Serves: 3-4 people
Kala Vatana Usal Ingredients:
- Dried black peas /kala vatana - cooked 1 Cup
- Onion chopped - 2
- Tomatoes chopped - 1 Big
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1.5 tsp
- Goda masala - 1/4 tsp
- Cooking Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds / Rai - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta - 1 string
- Coriander leaves - 1tbsp
- Salt / Namak to taste
How to make Kala Vatana Usal | Kala Vatana Amti:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add ground nuts, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, allow to splutter.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped green chilies, hing and turmeric powder.
- Then add chopped onions.Saute the onions till they turn translucent.
- Then add the leftover rice and salt. Mix well. Stir gently without mashing the rice. Cover the pan for a min.
- Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot.