Bread PakoraDecember 8, 2017
Death by ChocolateDecember 19, 2017
Sukhadi || Gul Papdi Recipe:
Gul papdi is a gul or jaggery based sweet dish which is traditionally enjoyed in all parts of India. The roasted wheat flour is cooked with jaggery or gur along with ghee and then shaped into flat diamond pieces.
When I was a kid, this was one of the many recipes which my mom used to make for us and we absolutely loved it. Because it has a very rich taste and it is quite satisfying and filling. My mom is very innovative and tries to bring a nice twist to the traditional recipes. Traditionally, Gul Papdi is made with just 3 ingredients - wheat flour, jaggery and ghee. My mom used to add gond and poppy seeds to it, this gave Gul papdi a nice crunch in every bite. You should try this and trust me it tastes amazing!!! It adds an unusually nice crunch to it.
Here goes Gul Papdi recipe with step by step photos.
Preparation Time: 10 min || Cooking Time: 20 min || Serves: 20 pieces
Sukhadi || Gul Papdi Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cup jaggery, grated
- 1 cup ghee/clarified butter
- 1/4 cup of Gond (Edible Gum)
- 1/4 cup of roasted Poppy seeds
How to prepare Sukhadi || Gul Papdi:
- If the Gond pieces are too large then break them into small pieces.
- Pour Ghee in a kadhai and heat. Put Gond to the heated Ghee (Gond puffs up like a popcorn in Ghee, fry Gond on a low flame so that it is fried even in the inside). Once Gond is fried and puffed take out in a plate.
- After Gond cools off press with a rolling pin on the plate itself making Gond finer in texture.
- Fry wheat flour in the leftover Ghee till it turns pink, then take it out on a plate. (Keep on low flame to avoid burning the flour.)
- Now add grated jaggery and Sauté till it melts completely.
- Add wheat flour, fried gond, roasted poppy seeds and mix well till all the ingredients blend properly with each other. Swich of the gas.
- Immediately pour the hot mixture in a greased plate (thali). Spread and press evenly with the base of a small bowl.
- While warm, mark deep cuts of square or diamond shapes into the mixture. Cool for an hour.
- When set, gently remove pieces with a steel spatula.
- Store in an airtight container.